• support@legalbazzar.com
  • +91 9811 704 705

Easy monthly EMI options available
No Spam. No Sharing. 100% Confidentiality

What is a Cheque Bounce?

A cheque bounces when a bank doesn’t honour a payment. A few of the reason are wrong signature, mismatch of figures written on the cheque (in words and figures) and overwriting. These issues are minor and can be solved without the court’s intervention, A major cause for concern is when a cheque bounces due to lack of funds in the drawer’s account.

A cheque bounce is governed by the Section 138 of the Negotiable instruments Act, 1881.

If you have received a cheque that has bounced, you have two options. You can send the person a notice and then if there is no response after 15 days, you can send them a legal notice, by filing a complaint in court.

What is the penalty for Cheque Bounce Case?

According to the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881, under section 138, issuing a bounced cheque is a criminal offence. So, if a complaint is filed in a court, a person can go to jail or might have to pay a hefty fine.

The fine can be up to two times the amount that had to be paid. In case the court decides on a jail time, it is generally for a period of one term, but it can be extended to two years.

In some cases, the court might grant both punishments, this is usually if the court finds the case to be that of heinous crime. Sometimes the court may grant additional time for the payment of dues.

What documents should you submit in a cheque bounce case?

While filing a complaint against a party in a cheque bounce case, you need to submit an application form along with the following documents:

A copy of the Demand Notice along with the acknowledgement of the receiver.

The original cheque that has bounced.

A memo, the communication from the bank to state that the cheque dishonoured and the reasons for it.

What are the Cheque Bounce Rules in India?

In case a person is filing cheque bounce case, there are certain rules he or she has to follow.

The first step is send a Demand Notice to the offender. Once the notice is received, the offender has 15 days to make the due payment. Under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881, the payee has to send the drawer a notice within 30 days of receiving the Cheque Return Memo.

If the drawer fails to make the payment, then the person filling the cheque bounce case has every right to file a complaint with the court by submitting a written complaint along with valid documents.

One of the main documents needed is the Cheque Return Memo that the bank issues. Without this document, the court cannot proceed with the case.

In cases where the bounced cheque was issued as a gift or towards lending a loan payment, the defaulter cannot be prosecuted in the eyes of the law.

FAQs on Private Limited Company

Normally, you should wait for a period of 15 days before filling a complaint with the court. While doing do, be sure to submit all the relevant documents, as mentioned above.
No, if the bounced cheque was given to you as a gift or was lent to you for a repayment of a loan instalment, you cannot press charges against the drawer.
Yes, you need to submit documents along with the complaint letter to the court. Documents such as the Cheque Return Memo, the original bounced cheque and a copy of the notice sent along with the acknowledgement need to be sent to the court in original format.
If you don’t file a complaint within the stipulated 30 days, the case will lapse. However, in certain circumstances, the court may grant you an extension.
Yes, you can. A cheque dishonoured under the stop payment instruction is covered under the Section 138 of the NI Act. So, you have every right to press charges. This can be done only after you have sent a Demand Notice to the drawer.

Why Legal Bazzar


At Legal Bazzar, we can deliver all your documentation requirements in just four working days. And if you're not totally satisfied, we'll take another couple of days to work on the modifications you need. All at the lowest price, both online and offline.


We make your interaction with government as smooth as is possible by doing all the paperwork for you. We will also give you absolute clarity on the process to set realistic expectations.


Our team of experienced business advisors are a phone call away, should you have any queries about the process. But we'll try to ensure that your doubts are cleared before they even arise.

Open in chat